What will you be empowered to do?
Research & Science
Associate Scientist, Genetic Epidemiology
Sunnyvale, California, United States
23andMe is looking for a early-career quantitative scientist with a strong interest in analyzing both genetic and non-genetic data to join our Research team. The genetic epidemiology group, situated within Research, is focused on maximizing the analytic utility of our data to understand human health and disease. The range of projects includes curating and imputing our phenotype data (with a focus on lifestyle exposures), supporting our drug discovery projects, analyzing and validating large-scale data collected via cross-sectional and longitudinal surveys, and statistical modeling of disease risk. This position is part of a highly interactive, dynamic environment and involves interfacing with individuals across the organization. There is an emphasis on communication skills and an ability to deliver results.
With the world’s largest database of more than ten million genotyped customers, 23andMe is at the forefront of using human genetics to advance biomedical research and transform healthcare. Join our growing research team in translating genetic discoveries into insights into molecular biology of human traits and diseases.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you’ll do
- Support the team working on curating exposures for downstream use in disease risk prediction; tasks will involve data management and design/implementation of validation analyses
- Conduct analyses for academic collaborations in the gene-environment space
- Support our drug discovery initiatives via sample size calculations, data analysis, and interpretation/communication of results
- Execute literature reviews to situate our work in the broader scientific context
What you’ll bring
- Strong quantitative background, preferably in Epidemiology/Biostatistics
- Keen interest in wrangling complex data sets and deriving value out of raw large scale-data
- Ability to use appropriate software tools, primarily in R; experience with Python and/or SQL is a plus
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills working with all levels of the organization
- Flexibility to support changing assignments and priorities in an independent and reliable manner, while maintaining a positive and collaborative attitude
- Master’s degree in a quantitative field (Statistics, Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Applied Math, Genetics or Biology (with appropriate computational ability)
- Interest in social determinants of health/ environmental context of the genome
- Knowledge of R Markdown and/or Shiny
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the mission of the company is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by Glassdoor as one of the Best Places to Work in 2019, MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back