Join our gene pool.
Facilities & Office Management
Facilities Technician II
South San Francisco, CA, United States
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
The Facilities Technician II will be responsible for day-to-day maintenance and repairs to building equipment, perform security operations and ensure health and safety compliance at 23andMe’s labs and office spaces.
This is a key position that functions as the go-to person for all facilities services supporting our Mountain View HQ and South San Francisco laboratory sites. The right candidate will be able to work and travel between two office locations (e.g., 3 days in MV, 2 days in SSF). Note that the role routinely requires after hours and weekend work as well as being on-call for site emergencies often requiring immediate response.
What you'll do
- Perform daily workplace and lab inspections to ensure compliance is maintained and corrective actions are taken
- Respond to Facilities service requests via internal ticketing system, ensuring all cases are handled in a timely manner and are followed through to completion
- Collect hazardous and biological waste and process for disposal
- Maintain and update SDS documents
- Maintain and update EH&S documentation
- Enforce Hazard Communication Program by maintaining signage and labeling
- Receive and complete occupant requests for service
- Assemble and install furniture and fixtures
- Perform monthly safety audits of facilities
- Perform monthly audits to ensure chemical inventory is maintained properly
- Operate HVAC and other mechanical equipment
- Provide onsite backup for Shipping and Receiving and Administration
What you'll bring
- 5-8 years’ relevant experience in a similar role supporting a biotech or pharma lab environment
- Flexible with workload and schedule. Must be comfortable with constantly changing priorities in a dynamic environment
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Good working knowledge of one or more of the following areas: electrical, mechanical, plumbing, carpentry, etc. Solid experience operating hand and electrical tools.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communications. Has demonstrated the ability to manage expectations, adapt to a variety of personalities and build and nurture relationships
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with a focus on crisp execution and seeing tasks to full completion
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Docs/Mail/Calendar
- Can work independently and as a team player
- Able to walk or stand several hours per day and to lift up to 30 pounds
- Available for on call or after hours support and occasional domestic travel
- Clean driving record and valid California Driver’s License
Bonus points if you have the following:
- Prior experience with ticketing / work order systems such as JIRA, FMX, Argus
- FMP (Facility Management Professional) credential from IFMA
23andMe, Inc. is the leading personal genetics company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has over 2 million customers worldwide with ~ 85% consented to participate in research. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.