Join our gene pool.
Research & Science
Computational Biologist - Ancestry Research
Mountain View, CA, United States
We are seeking a colleague with extensive training and experience in computational biology, statistics, and population genetics to join our highly productive, world-class Ancestry Research & Development team. Our team both develops novel algorithms to interpret the data of individual 23andMe customers and analyzes data from over 1 million customers in order to publish novel findings regarding human genetics and history. We are seeking a team member who is excited to develop cutting edge features that will reach millions of people.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
- Develop methods and perform analyses that will advance the understanding of human genetics and shape 23andMe’s consumer product
- Design and implement novel methods and tools to analyze large amounts of data
- Initiate long-term R&D projects that bring research advances into 23andMe’s consumer product
- Work collaboratively with members of the 23andMe Research, Engineering, and Product teams
- Provide scientific support to a variety of teams across the company, including Communications and Marketing, in a way that makes scientific knowledge accessible to the average person
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
- Perform other, related duties as assigned
- Ph.D. in Computational Biology or a related field (e.g., Genetics, Computer Science, Statistics, Bioinformatics, Physics, Mathematics)
- Evolutionary or population genetics research experience
- Strong bioinformatics and biostatistics background, with experience in algorithm development and machine learning approaches
- Substantial expertise in one or more of Python, R, C/C++, or Java
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to be proactive, thorough and independent, and to work effectively within a dynamic, fast-paced and interdisciplinary team
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of human genetics
- A track record of applying innovative methods to drive project success
23andMe, Inc. is the leading personal genetics company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has over 2 million customers worldwide with ~85 percent consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.