Join our gene pool.
Therapeutics - South San Francisco, CA
Scientific Researcher / Sr. Scientific Researcher, Antibody Engineering
South San Francisco, CA, United States
Who we are
Genetic testing makes it possible for each of us to understand our bodies in ways that were unimaginable only ten years ago. 23andMe continues to lead the way in making this information accessible, understandable and actionable for our customers, most of whom have consented to participate in research. This consumer-driven research model is powered by a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information that has the potential to improve human health through advances in genomics.
23andMe's Therapeutics team is committed to discovering and developing new therapies that can offer significant benefits for patients. This dedicated research and development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database, generates lead compounds for these targets and performs preclinical research to advance programs for clinical development. The team currently has research programs across several therapeutic areas, including oncology, skin, respiratory and cardiovascular disease.
We are seeking an outstanding Scientific Researcher or Senior Scientific Researcher to join a collaborative, cross-functional team responsible for delivering therapeutic antibody candidates for unmet medical needs. Technical expertise in antibody discovery and characterization and an excellent working knowledge of the therapeutic antibody development process are required. Successful candidates will also be independent and creative researchers, capable of experimental design, execution and troubleshooting.
What you’ll do
- Construct antibody phage libraries for antibody discovery
- Discover antibodies from antibody phage libraries and characterize antibodies through biochemical and biophysical assays
- Manage antibody sequences and construct cloning
- Optimize antibody properties through affinity maturation using phage libraries and engineering
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with other researchers as part of a team environment
What you’ll bring
- B.S. degree (+ 5 years’ related experience) or a Master’s degree (+ 3 years’ related experience) in Molecular Biology, Protein Engineering, or related field
- Expertise in molecular biology and biochemistry
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Highly effective organizational, communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work both independently and in a team environment
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials
- Biotech or pharmaceutical industry experience in therapeutic antibody development
- Experience in phage antibody library construction, antibody purification, expression and characterization
- Knowledge in application of deep sequencing in antibody engineering
23andMe, Inc. is the leading personal genetics company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has over 2 million customers worldwide with ~ 85% consented to participate in research. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://mediacenter.23andme.com/therapeutics/.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, religion, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other class protected by federal, state or local law. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.